Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Parting out a 1977 C-25 located in Columbus, OH
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

dubbinchris
Navigator

Member Avatar

209 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/19/2010 :  16:45:48  Show Profile
I have another thread that a few of you folks have looked at and commented in, but here is the official parting out thread I promised to create.

Anyway, I have recently acquired a 1977 Catalina 25. The hull shows many signs of being a total basket case. In my opinion (and many others) it's not even worth the money to get a survey for confirmation.

It appears as though someone at some point started to sink some money into her, but then likely discovered how bad the hull really was. I bought her simply to part her out and start my own boat fund so I can buy something bigger than my Siren 17.

Like the title says I'm in Columbus, OH. so please keep that in mind in regards to shipping and big items. Some things I'm willing to drive and meet someone part way. That distance of course will be determined by the size and price of the item.

In regards to payment, cash in person is always the safest all around but when not in person I would prefer paypal, plus 4.5% to cover their cut. When I comes to paypal I really hate their 4.5% but I feel it offers a bit of protection for complete strangers doing business together. While I'm typically a pretty trusting guy, I have been burned a few times. For shippable items I would like two pay pal payments. The first one covering the purchase price and then a second one to cover shipping once I get it all packaged up and ready to ship. I do this because I like make sure that I'm only charging actual shipping costs, plus the payment up front of the purchase price ensure a serious customer. I'm not a fan of getting a dozen different shipping quotes for each item for various potential buyers. If you need something then you likely already know how big it is and about how much it weighs. When possible I'll pack the items myself and spring for the packing supplies out of my own pocket. You just pay for the actual shipping one I get it weighed and paid for. Any questions just let me know.

Anyway, on to the items.

First item(s) are a complete set of cushions. I'm putting these up first b/c I feel they are the nicest part of the boat and appear to be the most sought after as a used part. They certainly wear out over time, prob a little quicker than most parts of a boat and from what I understand they are about $1200 to replace with new items. These examples appear to be professionally done and maybe even from Catalina direct themselves. The previous owner tells me they were all completely shampooed before I got the boat and they certainly look it. I unzipped a few and took a peek at the foam and it also appears pristine. I pulled them all out of the boat and laid them out on the main sail in the positions that they came out of the boat. All 12 cushions are there. One interested posted asked if they had any smoke smell and there is none that I can detect, and trust me I can smell a cigarette from a long way off. They have a very slight musty odor from being sealed up in the boat for a while. I have been giving them lots of air. I wiped the vinyl down with simple green and gave the cloth a light spritz of Febreeze. The pictures below are exactly how they looked coming out of the boat. There appears to be maybe three small spots total that I'm going to shampoo lightly to make them perfect.

I feel that with a new cost of $1200 and the pristine condition of these cushions that $600 is a fair price for these. Since this is a pretty big ticket item and very tough to ship, I'm willing to drive up to a 3 hour radius from Columbus to deliver or meet someone. Cash in person or paypal + 3% before we meet.

I know a few have chimed in for these and I will give preference to those in their order of request.

Slingerland (Response Posted - 09/17/2010 : 20:26:16)
BenD (Response Posted - 09/18/2010 : 04:54:05)

Anyway, on to the pictures. Sorry I'm so long winded.

They were removed from this style cabin...

Thought I would lay them out on the head sail as opposed to the lawn for a nice overall shot of them...

Closer photos..

V-berth...

Quarter berth...

Dining table...

Starboard side bench...

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/20/2010 20:00:34

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  16:53:27  Show Profile
Here are a few closeup pics to get an idea of the pattern.

Flash on....

Flash off...

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/19/2010 16:54:01
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  17:09:02  Show Profile
Up next are a few items that Harleyworker has dibs on since he asked first, but open to all if he's not interested...

First up is the swim ladder. It appears to be in great shape. They go for $182 new from Catalina direct and I always feel that 1/2 the new price for items in great shape is a very fair price so let's say $90 plus shipping for the ladder. He was also requesting the outboard bracket. I cycled it through it's positions and it seems to work smoothly. While this http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_18688_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=18688 is the current manual bracket from the same manufacturer this http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=107043&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10106&subdeptNum=10447&classNum=10448one is closer in design to the one on my boat. So sticking with my convention and taking off $15 for it not being in as nice of shape as the ladder I would like $65 plus shipping for the motor bracket.

Pictures...

Bracket up..

Down...

Mounting surface...

Ladder...

Close up...

Harleyworker, you also requested the teak trim rings. Are these the ones?

If so they don't look spectacular, but I'm willing to try and get them off a sell them real cheap when/if you buy the ladder and motor mount. Tell me exactly how they come off, so I can do everything possible to avoid doing any further damage to them.

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/19/2010 17:13:06
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  17:31:03  Show Profile
Chris,

I'm interested in the bow eye, the mainsail cover, and all the cleats in the two pictures above.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

calden
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  18:04:25  Show Profile
Argh! I just bought and installed a new motor bracket!

Good luck with the other items.

Carlos

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  18:15:02  Show Profile
How about the main sail?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BenD
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
36 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  18:15:17  Show Profile
I'm interested in the Motor Bracket, the rudder if it's in good shape, and the anchor hatch. The cushions are from the wrong setup from my boat, so won't work. Were there any working instruments? Was the compass in good shape?

Best of luck with your sale! Should be profitable for you. The trailer alone would be worth far more than your purchase price. Very shrewd purchase.

Ben

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

KiteKraemer
Navigator

Members Avatar

191 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  21:30:39  Show Profile  Visit KiteKraemer's Homepage
Lostsa good stuff! The windows should fetch a sum!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  22:04:20  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />Chris,

I'm interested in the bow eye, the mainsail cover, and all the cleats in the two pictures above.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Gary, I've seen all your posts and I promise I'm not ignoring them...lol.

You have dibs on the bow eye, the main sail cover, and the cleats. The bow eye is a pretty static piece so there isn't much wear and tear with that.

As far as the main sail cover goes, it's in pretty good shape except for one 2" tear in it. I suspect it can be repaired by someone who knows what their doing in a matter of minutes. It's a west marine item. I will try to get pictures up of that with in the hour, I don't sleep much. In regards to the cleats, do you mean just the two regular cleats or those and the locking ones as well?

Edit for photos:

I have taken a tape measure out and the overall length of the sail cover is about 9.5 feet. It also has a little extension piece so I suspect it's this item in size small... http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100923&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10102&subdeptNum=10237&classNum=10283 Eee gadz it's a whopping 300 bones new. Normally I would make sure this is run through the washing machine on a gentle cycle before I ship it, but I think the repair should be done before washing to make sure so additional fraying occurs. Let's say since it's not pristine, but has years of service left in her after the repair that 1/3 new is a reasonable price...so $100 plus shipping.

Anyway on to the pictures...

Picture of the large end showing West Marine label...

Picture of the 2' extension piece...

Picture of tear...

Also I apologize for the mistake. Earlier I said the tear was about 2", but now that I have a tape out in the photo, it appears to be about 5"

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/19/2010 23:00:33
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  22:50:59  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WesAllen</i>
<br />How about the main sail?

The main sail is avail for sure. I actually measured it today. The measurements are as close as I could get with a 10' tape so they may not be exact. I haven't applied my 3-4-5 right triangle rule to see if the numbers work out. Although as a new sailor I suspect the shape of the sails aren't perfect triangles as they likely have some curvature built it. Anyway the measurements are.... Luff: 24' 5" , Leech: 26' 4" , and Foot: 9' 3". The sails appear older but servicable. The head sail is in better shape than the main. The main still appears to be in decent shape except for one small tear or separation at the clew. Right now it's obviously dark outside so this is really the only picture I have of the main sail...

Here is a picture of the damage. I'm sure a qualified sail maker or repair person could remedy that in 15 min.

With flash...

Without flash...

So looking at Catalina direct it appears that the cheapest main sail is $839.00 . I feel this is a quite servicable sail with that minor repair. Also I'm willing to take the hose and stretch it out in the yard and get it all cleaned up. Just tell me what your preferred cleaning method is and I'll put in the elbow grease. Anyway I'd like $200 plus shipping for it. I can also take more pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/19/2010 22:53:18
Go to Top of Page

Mark Maxwell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
329 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  23:14:49  Show Profile
Sorry my email didnt go through, but I am interested in the hatch boards. I saw the tiller pretty bad, are the boards ok or are they shot?

Also those teak trim ovals could be glued on or even screwd on. Best bet would be to sawzal the fiberglass around them and let your buyer figure out how to remove the rest. Just an idea.

Thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  23:16:28  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BenD</i>
<br />I'm interested in the Motor Bracket, the rudder if it's in good shape, and the anchor hatch. The cushions are from the wrong setup from my boat, so won't work. Were there any working instruments? Was the compass in good shape?

Best of luck with your sale! Should be profitable for you. The trailer alone would be worth far more than your purchase price. Very shrewd purchase.

Ben

Motor bracket will likely be going to Harleyworker as we've already exchanged an email in regards to it. If the deal falls through then you have dibs on it. The rudder is complete and the brackets all appear in good shape. I'm not 100% sure how to judge the condition of the rudder. I know that eventualy water will infiltrate to the wood causing the wood to swell. I'd image this would be visable and cause the rudder to bulge or be assmytrical (sp) in some way but then again I'm only speculating on this one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow on this thread with the original high res versions obviously avail to email out for closer inspection. I know there are a few cracks in it, but appear to only be the paint, but again I may be mistake on this one. Another thing, the rudder is damn heavy so shipping might be an issue. Greyhound is always an option though.

As far as the anchor locker cover, it's not been spoken for so you have dibs on that. Here are two pictures I took today. I can of course provide more if needed, just let me know.

I'm not sure what to price that at, as it doesn't seem to be avail. The forward fiberglass hatch is a whopping $322 to replace, so I'd imagine that the anchor locket hatch is up there as well being similar in size. Mine looks well worn, so how about $100 and we'll consider that negotiable at this point. I'd like to hear the opinions of a few other on that.

Sorry to hear the cushions wont work for you. Looks like I'll wait to hear from Slingerland.

Edit:

Decided to add the few pictures that have the rudder in them. I took these the first day I look at the boat..

Let me know if you are potentially interested in it and I'll be happy to take closer more detailed pictures and post them.

Edit:

Forgot to add, that there were no instruments whatsover on this boat, not even a compass....

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/20/2010 00:26:00
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2010 :  23:22:22  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Maxwell</i>
<br />Sorry my email didnt go through, but I am interested in the hatch boards. I saw the tiller pretty bad, are the boards ok or are they shot?

Also those teak trim ovals could be glued on or even screwd on. Best bet would be to sawzal the fiberglass around them and let your buyer figure out how to remove the rest. Just an idea.

Thanks

Not sure why your email didn't go through, as I've received emails from others. Anyway as you observed the tiller is really really bad and it's going on the firewood pile. The hatch boards are of course well weathered but in much better shape. They will take some work, but none of the wood appears to be missing. Hopefully they are in better shape than the ones you are replacing.

It's past 2am local time, but since I normally work night shift I'm wide awake so I'll go outside and pull them off the boat to photograph them inside the garage or something. Lots of flourecent lighting out there...about 64' of it...lol

Oh BTW good suggestion with the sawzall.

Please hold...

Brought the boards in, and took many photos of both the inside surface of them as well as the outside surface. There are a variety of them with flash on and flash off. I prob took way too many, but the with and without the flash can have dramatic effects on how they look. Also ignore the dog in one shot, she just can't stand to be away from me...lol.

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/20/2010 00:00:22
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  08:37:08  Show Profile
Does anyone have dibs on the hatch boards? How much?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ckroll
1st Mate

Members Avatar

50 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  08:38:37  Show Profile
Posting this just in case there is a delivery problem using the forum email form.

Interested in the following:
2 cabin lights
Spreader boots if in good condition
6' length of rub rail aluminum and rubber
Bow light if parting out mast
Weathervane
Turnbuckles
Ladder if still available.

Also, do you have any instruments?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Slingerland
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  09:20:20  Show Profile
Chris, I'm going to bow out of the cushions... my wife (who sews) has volunteered to make new ones using my college colors.

Thanks!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  10:04:09  Show Profile
Chris I would be interested in the cushions and also is spreader boots, and the hatch boards. Let me know how much. I might also be interested in the winches.
Jan

Edited by - Jan Briede on 09/20/2010 10:12:29
Go to Top of Page

KiteKraemer
Navigator

Members Avatar

191 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  10:17:22  Show Profile  Visit KiteKraemer's Homepage
If the swim ladder is still available, I'd like it. -Jeff

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  11:14:16  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PCP777</i>
<br />Does anyone have dibs on the hatch boards? How much?

Seriously? The post just above yours is my response to someone asking about the hatch boards. I'll consider you second in line if he bows out.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ckroll</i>
<br />Posting this just in case there is a delivery problem using the forum email form.

Interested in the following:
2 cabin lights
Spreader boots if in good condition
6' length of rub rail aluminum and rubber
Bow light if parting out mast
Weathervane
Turnbuckles
Ladder if still available.

Also, do you have any instruments?

Got your email and replied, but looks like you've included a few more items here and I'll reply here as well for the group.

Ladder, you're second in line.

Turnbuckles...which ones?

Weather vane...twisted mess.

Bow light...the one hanging from one of the spreaders?

Rub rail, no problem. Who can tell me the best way to remove it?

Spreader boots, very rough looking but I'll post pictures anyway.

There are a few decent looking cabin lights.

Edit for photos:

Anchor light in poor shape:

Bow light in fair shape:

Spreader boot in poor shape:

I forgot to get pictures of any of the cabin lights. I am currently at work until 8am, it won't be until tomrrow that I'm able to take any more photos.

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/20/2010 16:34:14
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  11:26:53  Show Profile
I would like to buy the jib cars with the carbo blocks (saw pic of one, assuming same on the other side of the boat)and the spring block attached to the bow pulpit. Please let me know how much.

Did the boat by chance come with cockpit cushions?

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/20/2010 11:34:17
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  11:36:59  Show Profile
cushions look great, but wrong configuration. Anybody know where I can get that same cushion fabric in jade green?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  12:03:35  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jan Briede</i>
<br />Chris I would be interested in the cushions and also is spreader boots, and the hatch boards. Let me know how much. I might also be interested in the winches.
Jan

Cushions are yours at this point, see above.

Spreader boots are shot.

A few people have spoken for the hatch boards but I'll put you in line for them and let you know.

I have just taken pictures of the winches as well. There are two in the in the cockpit and one on the mast. I will need a little instruction on how to remove them. Someone has already mentioned to me to have a cut out shoe box around them to catch any parts that WILL fall out.

Edit for photos:

Port:

Starboard:

Mast:

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/20/2010 16:30:52
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  12:26:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />I would like to buy the jib cars with the carbo blocks (saw pic of one, assuming same on the other side of the boat)and the spring block attached to the bow pulpit. Please let me know how much.

Did the boat by chance come with cockpit cushions?

Yup it has the same car and block on the other side. Will have pictures up soon along with a better picture of the spring block on the bow. The carbo blocks appear as though they have spent many years in the sun, but they still feel pretty smooth, a testament to their high quality I suppose. I will determine a price as well.

Sorry no cockpit cushions.

Edit: fixed the edit...don't know if you read the other one, but they are avail. Anyway I knew those blocks were $30+ new but I had no idea that the cars would be almost $100 each new , for a whopping $260 to replace them. I'll take $100 for both cars and both blocks and since they are small I'll eat the shipping on them...at least to the lower 48.

Edit for photos:

Port:

Starboard:

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/20/2010 16:29:03
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  12:37:15  Show Profile
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jan Briede</i>
<br />Chris I would be interested in the cushions and also is spreader boots, and the hatch boards. Let me know how much. I might also be interested in the winches.
Jan

Cushions are yours at this point, see above.

Spreader boots are shot.

A few people have spoken for the hatch boards but I'll put you in line for them and let you know.

I have just taken pictures of the winches as well. There are two in the cockpit and one on the mast. I will need a little instruction on how to remove them. Someone has already mentioned to me to have a cut out shoe box around them to catch any parts that WILL fall out.

Edited by - dubbinchris on 09/20/2010 14:54:38
Go to Top of Page

calden
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  14:25:41  Show Profile
Chris:

Hi - This is moved over from the other thread... should have been here in the first place...

I am interested in the traveler car, NOT the jib car. What I want is this:

It attaches the mainsheet to the traveler bar.

If it's still available, that is...

Thanks,
Carlos

Edited by - calden on 09/20/2010 14:29:39
Go to Top of Page

dubbinchris
Navigator

Members Avatar

209 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2010 :  14:49:16  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by calden</i>
<br />Chris:

Hi - This is moved over from the other thread... should have been here in the first place...

I am interested in the traveler car, NOT the jib car. What I want is this:

It attaches the mainsheet to the traveler bar.

If it's still available, that is...

Thanks,
Carlos

Yup, it's def avail. I don't have a picture of it right now, but how does $20 sound? It spins freely and they look to be $50 new.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page